Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Little Girls Natural Hair Styling Option #1 Playing With Coils

The weather will be changing drastically in a few weeks (sooner for most). How will you style your little one's hair if you've been enjoying wash n go's? Cold weather and wet hair is a combination asking for sick days. The little one and I have been enjoying our wash n go's, so I've had to start changing my hairstyling pace. I did a braidout on her hair last night, and for some odd reason--her coils refused to disappear! 
One of Our many Wash N' Go Styling


We got no definition from our braid out. I just made a vertical part in the middle of her head (sort of), and bunned her ponytails. I gave her a bang and defined her coils with Aloe Vera gel and Castor oil mix. Then further ensured that the curls would not poof up in the middle of the day by adding some Eco Styler Gel. I brushed some along her hairline to keep down frizz during the day as well. 

 This is an excellent protective style as well. Her bun consists of 2 twists that are twisted around each other--into the bun, and the ends are tucked in. 

Products used: Aloe Vera Gel (approximately 1 ounce), and 1 tablespoon of Castor Oil. This is mixed in a spray bottle and was used to do the braid out, and to refresh the hair in the morning. 

This is a quick and easy style! It can and will help to retain length.




I find that this ensures that her style does not become frizzy/fuzzy at all that day. I don't put too much because I don't want to have to wash her hair in order to do a different style the next day. We decided to accent her hair with some bows (well, she did). We can still do styling with her coils even if we're not doing a wash n go.

5 comments:

  1. ok, i have an eigth year old, and she's been getting perms for about 3yrs now....she is having bad breakage and i'm wondering what would i have to do to get her back to her natural hair texture which very thick and curly...Well i really need to know what's the first steps i should take in transitioning her back to her natural hair..lik what products should i use, and what styles would b best to start her off... please what should i do???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I permed my first daughter's hair when she was 7 ;( I transitioned her about 2.5 years ago (when she was about 12 or so.. 1) We transitioned together, that made me understand better--and made her accept easier 2) she wasn't happy about it, but she saw her hair kept breaking bad w/ relaxer. 3) Tried and true leave in moisturizer is the kimmaytube mixture (if you haven't heard of it, just browse google or youtube). 4) Try to use moisturizing shampoos. 5) Deep conditioning is so important--I like Silk Elements, but you should check out a few see what ur hair likes. Check out our youtube channel (link on the upper right of this blog). We've got a few styles (buns are great, sometimes flat ironing is okay--1x month, match the curly hair as the natural hair comes in full). HTH. Keep in touch

      Delete
  2. Hi, I just did both my daughters hair and my 3 year old has very very tightly coiled thick hair, I found the tightly curly site first and tried that twice but it took way too long to define her curls and it didn't last past 2 days. She's only 3 and she did not sit well for 4 hrs. So I tried the way you do the tightly curly method by just raking my fingers through for definition, I even used the curling souffle but when I finished it wasn't laying down well and wasn't defined well. I think its her hair texture,because my oldest daughters hair texture is like your youngest so it works well on her hair. What do you I suggest I do to fix it rather than going through the whole process again? Can I just two stand twist her hair as is or do I have to wash it again? and what can I try next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yeah, you could probably just dampen you hands with water and spread that onto her hair in sections and do some two strand twists. I don't know what product you used to do the wash'n'go, but the water from your hands will re-activate the product.

      It's possible that she has some products built up on her hair. Or she may need a quick conditioning treat. I know, at 3 years old it's only so much time that they will give you LOL. But put some toys or a show in front of her and work really fast :o) I like the shea moisture creamy shampoo for the babies. It's not drying, all natural, and it cleanses. If you use products with cones in it on her hair, you may need to use a shampoo with sulfates to get it off. In the end, curl definers will only define the coils that are already there. Also, if the coils are coated with stuff, the curl definers won't be able to properly work. Thirdly, moisture levels are so important to coily hair. Especially when trying to define the coils. I hope this helps. Keep in touch :o)

      Delete
  3. Thank you. I used Say yes to carrots pampering conditioner and then shea curling souffle. OMG it was a so kinky and big when I went to two strand twist it felt really sticky in the back where her coiles are really tight at.I also ddi the pre-poo and let that sit for a couple hours and her hair was so soft and managable, its wasn't until I got done defining it and it dried that it turned out bad. I started to get really frustrated and pull out the hot comb lol but this is only are third week going natural so I'm going to hang in there.

    ReplyDelete