Monday, April 30, 2012

Is Your Wash & Go "Just Not The Same" Anymore? RESET YOUR COILS!

HOW I REVIVED MY COILS FOR A BETTER WASH N GO
  
Dull, Lackluster Coils Need to Be Reset for Shiny Wash & GO
There are times when I can't just co-wash my way into a wash & go. For some reason, my hair seems to need a total reset. It could be because of product buildup, too much sun exposure, something in the water, or so many other reasons!  If you experience dry, dull looking coils that won't spring into action when attempting your wash & go, maybe you need to hit the "RESET" button.

Maximize Your Coils: Add Hydration to Conditioned Hair, Cleanse & THEN Define
MY COIL "RESET BUTTON"  

1) I use a spray bottle with my favorite conditioner, favorite oil, and some water (milkshake consistency). I spray that throughout (I like to finger detangle at this time) and make sections of two strand twists (about 8 to 10 twists).

 2) Leave those saturated twists for an hour under a cap, or do a steam treatment with my twists piled high atop my head so the ends of my hair get treated.

 3) Rinse out the conditioner mix in the shower, then cleanse scalp and strands with Amla Powder Mix. RINSE THOROUGHLY!  At this point, my coils are "reset" and ready to be defined by my curl definer of choice

4) Don't forget to apply the curl definer effectively. I found that when I applied my curl defining product (conditioner) sparingly, my hair appeared dry, lackluster once it dried fully. I also found that once I was done applying the conditioner, I had to seal with an oil (Shea Moisture Curling Souffle) for added shine, define, control.


Spring/Summer Wash & Go's: The Curly Girl's Pride & Joy!
  
Don't settle for a dull, lifeless Wash & Go! The wash & go is the curly girl's pride & joy hair texture! Play with products and technique until you get the results you're searching for. BUT, just know that once you've figured out the correct products and techniques, occassionally you may need to jump start or "reset" your coils to achieve those results again.

TIPS: Make sure your ends are not broken/split. Curly hair showcases best with clean, healthy hair ends. Make sure to remove all shed hairs during the conditioning phase. Otherwise, during the cleansing, the shed hairs will wrap around other hairs and make knots.

Amla Powder Mix Helps Prep Coily Hair For Define

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I'm currently transitioning and I have about 13 months of new growth. I'm so anxious to big chop and your blog posts and YouTube videos are inspiring. I can't wait to start experimenting with my hair to see what works for me. Your and your daughters' hair looks so beautiful and it's great to see the different textures and what they can do. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your transition Tiffster. I did my big chop at 15 months and had lots of hair to play with, so you're in good shape! Thanks for the message.

      Delete
  2. Great tips! Where do you get your Amla powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hotmomc! I stalk the local Indian store in the neighborhood (there's only 1) LOL. I think they just buy it for me, since I seem to be the only person buying them Hahaha

      Delete