Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Does Your Coily Natural Hair Need Many Different Products to Feel Soft?

Ultra Defined Twist Out on "Natural" Hair

Add caption

I get asked about the products I use quite a bit, and I just realized why I've never done a video or explained my favorite products yet. I didn't know it! I've been going into the stores, looking at all of the pretty bottled products (shampoos, conditioners, leave in's, and a thousand other very useful products) Hahahaa. But each time I get my product junkie fix of just staring and eyeballing the products, I leave the store empty handed.

I think I have figured out what all I use finally. It only took me about a year and some months!

It appears that I've turned away from most of those pretty colored bottles. I found out by doing research, that once in the lab while most of these commercial items are in production, they are tested on straight hair, and the considerations are of such. Most people with naturally straight hair produce a whole lot of sebum, and have problems with oily scalp. So these products are geared towards that issue. Curly hair, on the other hand, has the exact opposite concern. We can't get enough oils or moisture to our scalp and hair.

Hence, the reason I feel that most of us that choose to use those products will most likely have to deal with dry hair issues. I haven't called any product names, but if you check out the ingredients the most popular brands, they will all pretty much have the same ingredients (or at least the top 5 ingredients listed).

Long story short--what do I use? Oils, Aloe Vera Gels, Water, etc. The point is that I use things that I probably could eat. That eliminates a lot of possible hair irritations. Giovanni,  Jane Carter, Oyin, Renpure, any products that were produced with primarily or totally natural ingredients.

How long have I been doing this?  About 8 months now.
What Changes Have I noticed with my hair? No dry hair issues. Softer Feeling Hair, Shine, Healthier Scalp, and more.

What have you been using?

After trial and error, what products have you eliminated from your "arsenal" of hair stash products?

2 comments:

  1. i've found the 1 product that makes my hair soft- shea butter. its like cheese cake to my hair. love ur posts n pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE shea butter, Unfortunately I found out that by day 3 it has my hair dry no matter how much moisture I try to add! I love the idea of shea butter and everything about it's natural goodness LOL! Thanks for the message Beauty!

    ReplyDelete