Saturday, August 18, 2012

Natural Hair is Easy: Bunning with Ease


Strangers stop me on the streets to compliment my hair. Girls, guys, whoever. Some have even asked me to feel my hair. It's funny to me that the compliments come from so many different nationalities of people. Lots of young ladies (sisters) ask me questions about how they can transition. That always makes my day. The one thing I hear often is "that looks like a lot of work", even for a simple wash n go. 

Funny thing is, my hair just "does what it does". I don't "make" my coils, they just happen. I don't have too much time these days to play with my hair. Pretty much, 30 minutes is the max for texture creation/definition, and about 15 minutes needed to style (I'm not a big deal styler) LOL. 

This easy high bun was created with stretched hair (6 plait braidout). It took me about 15 minutes to do 6 plaits on freshly co-washed hair. It took me about 15 minutes to do this bun. 


Played around with Carol's Daughter Macadamia Hold & Control Smoother

What do I think can make Natural Hair "Hard to Manage"?

Dryness. The moisture level has to be right.

Watch the shampooing (ingredients, frequency)
Don't forget to deep condition at least once every 2 weeks (or as needed)
Product Buildup (be mindful of the products put on the hair, they can cause dryness)

High Bun: Hair Stretched by a 6 Plait Braidout
 Those issues are like the top 3 culprits of dry hair (unprocessed or processed). What's frustrating about these problems are that they sometimes take a while to rectify. Meanwhile, dealing with styling dry hair is pretty difficult and upsetting.

My sister called me the other day to tell me that she's going to chop off her (15'' or more of natural hair). She said it's "nappy". I had to laugh, because her hair may very well be nappy because she's been slapping on Hair Mayonnaise from Organics or Africa's Best or whatever. I read the ingredients to that product and told her to "stop playing around" and get rid of that bottle. She laughed at me and kept using it. That was about 2 weeks before I got this call. 

Long story short--she's listening now. I told her to clarify with an apple cider vinegar mix (2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, and about 3 ounces of water in a spray bottle), and then deep condition with a conditioner I recommended (and to add some olive oil). This is going to take some time to rectify. A few sessions of using the right product, and her hair will be back to normal. LOL Nappy hair is a user problem. Any texture of hair can become "nappy" if it's lacking something/ or if something's going in the wrong direction.



Dealing with natural hair with the right moisture level makes styling so easy. I was playing around with my newest purchase: Carol's Daughter Macadamia Hold and Control Smoother. The jury is still out, as I don't think I know exactly how to use it. I spritzed my hairline with water (to dampen), so maybe that could have caused it to not lay down my edges as perfectly as I visioned. I will keep playing around with it. 

I had fun with this high bun. Played with the make up a little (I am a newbie with make-up, since I'm allergic to everything that doesn't have natural ingredients--since I was 18 years old). I especially love low buns that are placed off to the side some. Something nice and laid back about that look.

How do you wear your bun?
Is your natural hair Easy To Style?

No comments:

Post a Comment