Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Mastering the Braidout: Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed, Transitioning


BRAIDOUTS: HOW-TO'S FOR RELAXED, TRANSITIONING, AND NATURAL HAIR

Natural Hair: Braidout on Flat Ironed Hair

BRAIDOUT ON FLAT IRONED HAIR

All mysteries aside, this texture is similar to relaxed hair--but not. Flat ironed hair will define well with a braidout, but will not hold the crinkled texture for long. HOW I GOT THIS LOOK: Used a water based leave in and did about 15 braids throughout the head. It wasn't difficult. THINGS TO NOTE: You can use a water based product on flat ironed hair--but you don't want it to be too watery. You'll need a little water in your leave-in product for the hair to properly "set". However, putting water straight up on this heated texture will revert the hair. So, keep it CREAMY, not WATERY. I only put product on my hair for this braidout on Day 1. After that, I simply re-braid nightly (less braids). 


BRAIDOUT ON TRANSITIONING HAIR

This is the most creative I had to get in order to get a good looking braidout on my hair!
With puffy roots (the unprocessed hair) peeking through, and the relaxed hair uncompromising, I really had to decide on product AND technique. I was known to play with products during my transition, which is important. I had to find out what my hair responded to. I often used creamy leave in--like the Bronner Bros creamy leave-in (I forget the name). So long as it was creamy and not watery, I gave it a try. HOW I GOT THIS LOOK: Fresh washed/conditioned hair. Product from root to ends (your product of choice). Most importantly, I had to accept the fact that my most perfect braid out while transitioning was accomplished with braids and a roller at the end of each braid (to match up the 2 different textures). It didn't match up completely, but it masked the difference a bit.  

Braidout on Transitioning Hair

The more braids: The smaller the waves
 RESULTS:


BRAIDOUT ON NATURAL (UNPROCESSED) HAIR


This picture was taken while I was transitioning, but I cut off all of the relaxed hair from my "bang" section. It gave me a good chance to experiment, and learn before my entire head was "all natural". Because I was working with such a small section, it wasn't as intimidating as a whole head of hair!

I did twists on freshly washed, deep conditioned hair. The results were phenomenal. I recall that I barely used any leave-in. Mostly it was the fact that I had recently used Cassia Obovata to deep condition my hair, and it was soft, pliable, and easily defined. I know I used oils, but I can't recall the leave in. I have been very limited in my leave-in use (even since I was transitioning). I don't think the leave in or "styler" is the answer to defined hair.

One of my Favorite Transitioning Hair Styles


THE FORMULA FOR BRAIDOUT/TWISTOUT DEFINITON



BRAID HAIR WHILE SOAKING WET: 
RESULTS: Tightly defined waves/crinkles. Lots of shrinkage. Long lasting texture. Great shine.

BRAID HAIR WHILE MOSTLY AIR DRIED:
RESULTS: Mildly defined waves/crinkles (hair needs maximum water for "set". Mild shrinkage--less definition, more length. May need to re-braid nightly, as the texture will not hold long. Luster/Shine will depend mostly on the product used.


Braidout on Stretched "Natural" Hair
BRAIDOUT ON STRETCHED HAIR (UN-PROCESSED) RESULTS: Loose texture. Lengthy. Will Revert Easily.


BRAID HAIR IN SMALL SECTIONS:
RESULTS: Smaller crinkles, longer lasting definition

BRAID HAIR IN LARGE SECTIONS:
RESULTS: Large Waves, Definition does not last long. Will need to use product to hold definition.


BRAID HAIR ON BLOW DRIED TEXTURE: 
RESULTS: Soft waves, Definition will not stay for long. Elongated=Length. Will Revert Easily.



Braidout on "Natural" Hair with Products
 BRAID HAIR ON NATURAL COIL/CURL TEXTURE (WITH WATER): 
RESULTS: Strong Definition, Lots of Shrinkage, Lots of Shine, Long Lasting Waves.

BRAIDOUT ON RELAXED/TEXLAXED HAIR (50% AIR DRIED): 
RESULTS: Strong, Defined Waves/Crinkles. Long Lasting Definition. Shine/Sheen. Will show some length.
Braidout on Texlaxed Hair 50% Air Dried (used Oil)





Braidout on Wet Coils Using Oil Only


2 comments:

  1. Love your suggestions for braid outs and thanks for including pics of transitioning and relaxed hair. I am attempting transitioning again (2nd time)- only 12 weeks post. I opted not to do braid outs because I always hated the frizz. The roller at the end though could be a fix for me. I just liked you on FB & already sub you on You tube.

    BTW, keep sharing the weight loss tips (LOL)...I read that book you mentioned and I am trying to take baby steps in that area. Did walk 30 minutes a day for 3 days a few months ago and you are so right that it made a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your transitioning (2nd time LOL). You'll do it. Thanks for the support Love! We really appreciate it. I will definitely keep track of my fitness goals on here, especially since it keeps me accountable Hahah! 30 minutes a day is Excellent! Thanks for sharing with me (I can use all the encouragement I can get LOL). --tia

      Delete