Sunday, December 4, 2011

Solutions For A Failed Roller Set--Or a Successful One That Said "Peace Out"

My fabulous roller set was a puff ball within 20 minutes of being done. The only thing I can figure is that I didn't use a good holding product. To save my wash day efforts, I plan to do twists. Nice and big twists that don't require a lot of time to complete. I feel like I already spent all of this time doing my roller set, so I didn't want to spend a whole lot of time on the twists. It took me about 40 minutes to do the twists in the size that I did them. There was probably about 35 twists in total. They came out great in that they are wearable in styling, and will probably make a good twist out. 

Big Twists on Natural Hair: Shorter Styling Time; Can Be Worn in Different Styles


I wore my hair in these twists for only about 6 hours. When I twisted them, they were still moisturized from the Jane Carter Nourish & Shine, as well as the Shea Moisture Styling Milk. But I remember that the products I used did not have adequate "hold" for the roller set, so I was probably going to have the same problem with my twist-out.  So I went to my closet "stash" of products, and pulled out an old time friend, my Taliah Waajid Lock it Up Gel. I added this to my twists (not to the loose hair). I just took sections of twists, took a tablespoon of the Gel, and ran it along the hair shaft from roots to tip. This actually worked!

Natural Hair Twist-Out with Products To Defy Humidity

Twist Out on Natural Hair That Has Been Previously Stretched

This is actually my first successful twist out! I've tried once before, and there were many problems. I will post information about what I changed in my technique for this twist out. So I wasn't disappointed with my efforts to "save" my failed roller set. I didn't have to re-wash and start over from scratch. And the best thing is that I'm on day 2 with my twist out, and I think I can  get 2 more days out of this "hanging" style before I have to put it up into a bun or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment