Monday, November 12, 2012

Saturday Coily Hair Quick Cleanse & Condition Routine



SATURDAY WASH DAY WITH EASE

Air Drying in Four Plaits
After about 2 weeks of not detangling Dimple's hair, this Saturday became her temporary hair day (it's usually Sunday evening). She couldn't go to church in the morning with this dry, brittle, tangled, uncooperative hair. I mean, she could, but we both wouldn't be too happy about it. As I type this, I've already pre-poo'd her hair with a diluted Conditioner (Trader Joe's Nourish Spa). I love that conditioner for it's detangling/slip properties--and the ingredients are the best! Unfortunately, there's not a Trader Joe's store by me--so I have to order it online. After I detangle each section, I'm twisting up her hair (usually ends up being about 10 two strand twists) so that it won't tangle back up.
From Four Plaits to Approx. 12 Smaller Plaits
After I detangle her hair during the pre-poo with diluted conditioner, I put her in the shower and shampoo (if needed). Since it's been around 2 weeks since I last did anything sensible to her hair, I decided to shampoo this time around. I may only rinse off a little of the pre-poo before I apply the dime sized shampoo to each section. I will usually take down each section in order to shampoo it. I just don't feel like I can "get up in there" when her hair is still in twists. Plus, it's really not that much more work for me.
Easy Stretch on Wash Day


After the shampoo, if her hair feels dry, then I will use a deep conditioning product, then place each section into a bantu knot. I will put on a shower cap, and let her finish up her shower. Once she's done showering, I  rinse out the deep conditioner and make 4 plaits from the loosened two strand twists. While she's getting dressed, her hair is air drying in the two strand twists. To help it along, I will use a microfiber towel and blot off the extra water.




I can leave her hair like this until tomorrow morning for a braidout with a LITTLE stretch--or I can make her air dried 4 plaits into about 16-20 plaits for some LONG stretch action (that's what I ended up doing).

This is a pretty simple regimen/routine that eliminates lengthy hair wash days and gets rid of lots of tears from detangling. You can't go wrong with that. As I sit here typing this, I can't help but to compare how much easier Dimple's hair is to about 10 years ago with T's hair drama. The only difference here is that I'm now educated about how to care for coily hair. That makes all the difference in the world.

Just a quick post to share from start to finish our 2 hour Saturday hair day (from pre-poo/detangle, includes shower, and ends with detangling and styling).


PICTURES OF HER FINAL STYLING

 

To view a Step By Step of this Style

No comments:

Post a Comment